What really happens when we fast?
There are a lot of beneficial effects of fasting on the body. Over a long period of time, the human body has developed and adapted to starvation. However, our bodies have not adapted to frequent eating.
Effects of fasting after 12 hours—There is a spike in growth hormone.
Growth hormone is involved with:
• Fat burning
• Healing joints
• Protein synthesis
Effects of fasting after 18 hours—You develop autophagy.
Autophagy is involved with:
• Recycling old and damaged proteins as well as microbes
• Decreased amyloid plaquing
Effects of fasting after 24 hours—You really start to deplete your glycogen reserve and run on ketones.
Benefits of fasting after 24 hours:
• Decreased hunger
• Decreased cravings
• Increased antioxidant reserve
• Increased oxygen
• Better fuel efficiency
• Decreased inflammation
• Gut healing
• Improved cardiovascular function
• Improved cognitive function
Effects of fasting after 48 hours:
• Stimulate stem cells
• Decreased risk of cancer/tumors
• Make more mitochondria
Effects of fasting after 72 hours—Do periodically
• More stimulation of stem cells
• Better immune function
Last updated: Jan 28, 2023 01:29 AM