Different Foods Questions and Facts

What's healthy about heart healthy whole grains?

The American Association of Cereal Chemists defines whole grains as “any mixture of bran, endosperm, and germ in proportions one would expect to see in an intact grain”.

There are 3 parts of an intact grain:

• Bran- outer layer containing fiber, trace minerals, and B-vitamins

• Germ- B vitamins, vitamin E, trace minerals, phytonutrients, healthy fats

• Endosperm- All of the carbohydrates and a few B-vitamins

According to the FDA, all you need is 51% of these three elements to call a product whole grain. This means that the other 49% could be refined grains, sugars, sweeteners, or other additives.

Refined grains are made by removing the bran and the germ, leaving only the endosperm. There aren’t many vitamins in the endosperm, so the grains are typically enriched with synthetic vitamins and iron. Whether something is made from whole grains or refined grains, it’s still very high on the glycemic index and unfit for a ketogenic diet. The American Association of Cereal Chemists expanded their definition of whole grains to include grains that have been ground. When you grind whole grains, the grinding process exposes them to oxygen, which destroys vitamin E, part of the vitamin B complex, and many of the phytonutrients and healthy fats. Ground grains are more susceptible to going rancid when they’re exposed to air and other things like mold, so chemicals are added to the grains to preserve them.

Last updated: Mar 18, 2024 17:24 PM